About The

My photo
Sensei Ono, founder of Shinka Martial Arts, is a teacher and student of life. His passion for helping others and self improvement is the purpose behind this blog. -- "If your purpose in any way includes making the world a better place, I urge to you read, and share the knowledge."

Monday, June 7, 2010

Video Games Good For Martial Arts?

A student of mine asked me the other day on weather or not playing UFC: Undisputed (2009) on my XBOX 360 would improve my (or their) Jiu Jitsu.


(for a good price, check out best buy. 2009 seems pretty wicked, I haven't tried 2010 yet)

____
Its an interesting premise, is it not?

On the one hand, yes, Jiu Jitsu, like all martial arts, is a combination of mental and physical.

Jiu Jitsu especially, is often compared to chess, only the rules/moves keep getting reinvented every time you play (probably why our green belts are always so happy)

If I had to assign percentages to my own ground game, I would place myself somewhere around the 70% "feel" of my training partner, and 30% planning/strategy.

Could this (rather fun, by the way) video game enhance a Jiu Jitsu practitioner's mental planning of the game via removing the physical sensations?

I say... Yes!

I know that I've gotten ideas off of it, and, the repetitive nature of the moves has perhaps helped facilitate the moves.

I've also noticed an increase in my wrestling ability from watching UFC live.

Also, when I played Fight Night, I know for a fact, that it helped improve my boxing in "move availability" and timing.

So, maybe I'm wrong - maybe it doesn't help.  I'm still a relative newbie to UFC 2009, and I could simply be projecting these results as an excuse to play!

What do you think?

Sensei Ono, Shinka Martial Arts
How could you best encourage a blogger to blog?

No comments:

Post a Comment