About The

My photo
Sensei Ono, founder of Shinka Martial Arts, is a teacher and student of life. His passion for helping others and self improvement is the purpose behind this blog. -- "If your purpose in any way includes making the world a better place, I urge to you read, and share the knowledge."

Friday, June 11, 2010

How To Focus: Think Like a Fighter

People tell me in their day to day lives how hard it is for them to find focus, and I can completely relate.


Our world is filled with constant distractions and they are only escalating as our technology expands and our world shrinks.

So how then, do we focus?

One method I have found to be truly beneficial, is to brainstorm in the same manner that I would fight someone.  You'll note, I didn't say "spar" someone, but fight.

That pinpoint "If I let my guard down I'm going to get hurt" type mentality.  That fearsome mindset, that is predatorial in nature.

If you can apply that to your brainstorming, to your focus, you will absolutely astounded at the results.
You will go from "probably, maybe having an idea" to having a full fledged plan of attack with specifics, action plans, due dates etc.

And if your cell phone rang while you were fending off a rapist...  would you still check who was calling? (y'know, just in case it was important)


I personally wouldn't recommend maintaining this level of focus for more than an hour.  Often, about 20 minutes is more than enough time to extrapolate upon an idea, or to quantify a basic plan.

What I've been doing, is taking a simple need, and expanding it into all areas of my life.

That is, I put aside a half hour, and extrapolate the need of "Love & Connection" and then I think of how I could increase and fulfill that need in every conceivable area.  (ie friends/family/relationships/business/personal/society etc)

Your brain is a magnificent computer designed to answer the questions you give it.  So many of us ask the question, then leave while the loading screen is still going.


Sensei's Challenge:
Take one of the 6 human needs, find your fighter's focus and seek to increase that need in every single different "type" of person in your life.  Be they friends, family, associates, strangers, suppliers, employees, even brainstorm for enemies or competitors.  You never know what you'll come up with until you ask the question.

After your brainstorming session is over, book a time to quantify your action plan, and then use this same level of focus to do so.  Simply taking the time to book a time to quantify IS an action step.  And we all know that taking action leads to momentum.

Sensei Ono, Shinka Martial Arts
How could you best encourage a blogger to blog?

No comments:

Post a Comment