About The

My photo
Sensei Ono, founder of Shinka Martial Arts, is a teacher and student of life. His passion for helping others and self improvement is the purpose behind this blog. -- "If your purpose in any way includes making the world a better place, I urge to you read, and share the knowledge."

Sunday, April 17, 2011

Alkaline Diet Review

As a martial artist who is doing some form of exercise for an average of 7 hours a day, my body is my canvas, and, I'm constantly doing my best to make it run at peak efficiency.  So it should come to no surprise that I've tried many forms of healthy eating, from vegetarianism, to no-sugar, to the pranic diet, and, the alkaline diet.

Each came with its own side effects; strict vegetarianism often led to starvation, social burdening, perceived inflexibility, and others.  The no-sugar diet proved to be incredibly inconvenient, as, one learns very quickly, that virtually everything has sugar in it to some degree.  The pranic diet was similar, with similar situations, and, the alkaline diet, whose side effects were, initially, headaches, but, after an adjustment period, more energy and vibrant health.  I recover faster, can exercise more, and, in general, am simply happier.

Of course, as with any diet I've done, I tended to go towards an extreme at first, in order to best test its application and results.  Again, this was met with some resistance in social circumstances and situations, and, eventually, a compromise was met which suits my lifestyle.

Currently, I consider myself an "economical vegetarian of convenience", which basically means that I don't purchase meat, but will eat it if there is nothing else available, or, if the food would go to waste.  My logic being that my primary reasons for not eating meat are to avoid suffering of animals, ecological trauma, and detriment to health and energy.  ie "the chicken was already killed and made into food, not eating it at this point is disrespectful, and, would make its death in vain - also, its ecological footprint is past tense, to not eat it now would increase said footprint as I would have to eat something else instead"


It works for me, anyway.

I think that the logic of never eating meat to avoid ecological trauma is a little silly, as, I've seen many vegans who claim ecological motivation having had restaurants throw out and re-prepare a meal (wasting twice the resources) after a single fish egg touched it.  As with anything, extremes tend not to suit me for very long, but I completely understand them as a evaluational starting point.

Over all, the alkaline diet continues to be an excellent choice for my lifestyle, and I would highly recommend it.

For tips on how to get started, check out the article on the various forms of green drinks!

No comments:

Post a Comment