About The

My photo
Sensei Ono, founder of Shinka Martial Arts, is a teacher and student of life. His passion for helping others and self improvement is the purpose behind this blog. -- "If your purpose in any way includes making the world a better place, I urge to you read, and share the knowledge."

Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Instructor Interviews: Leslie Shamanski (Yoga)

Hi Leslie, thanks for taking the time out of your busy teaching schedule for us.
You're welcome Ono. It's always a pleasure to talk with you.


Right back at you Leslie!  So, clearly you have a passion for teaching Yoga. Do you mind if I ask why?
I love Yoga because we attend to the physical body, mind, emotions and spirit. We light the fire, keep in burning by staying connected with our truth, then toss whatever we don't need into the flame. Love it!


Awesome.  Where are you teaching now?
I'm teaching Yoga at Yyoga in Richmond, Lululemon at Oakridge and at the S.Arm United Church Pioneer Chapel.


What sorts of students do you generally attract?I
 love the weekend warriors who use and abuse their bodies on a regular basis to run, hike, bike, ski, board, ride, and play...but forgot to stretch!!! My classes are always accessible to all levels. We always have fun, get a good workout and play our edge.


What is the general "feel" to your classes?
Fun...it's gotta be fun. I want people to come to my classes to cultivate more happiness and joy in their lives.


My class is where you come to check in with your body, your state of mind, and build the connection between those two. This makes you feel good. Every person in my class has complete freedom to work at their own place of truth. Ultimately, it is your time on your mat to do what you want. To use your strength and get in touch with those places that need a little for love... breathing into those tight places, waiting... practicing patience...waiting... letting go of all the stuff you don't need and waiting for surrender.


Sounds like a lot of people would really enjoy it.  Alright, let's ask a different kind of question:  What would be your ideal situation in life?
I have it Ono. I'm so grateful. My current situation allows me to spend time with so many amazing people doing what I love.


That's fantastic!  I enjoy saying that health is maintained, not attained, and that is just as true for one's appreciation towards their life's journey.  Good for you, for living the dream! 


One thing I enjoy asking teachers, is for them to tell a favorite teaching/student-related story that they'd like to share.  Do you have one of those?
(Laughs) Great question Ono. I just went to a Yoga Workshop with the amazing Shiva Rea. A Yoga Teacher from California I love, a mentor.


So on day two of this Workshop we start off by dancing to these awesome tunes and I wind up right beside Shiva Rea. We're grooving to Led Zeppelin. (Yes, a very cool Yoga Workshop.)


Anyway,we all end up sitting side by side and I'm right beside her on the stage. In my mind I'm thinking, 'holy crap, how did this happen? I'm right beside Shiva Rea"...we're all holding hands, doing this amazing prayer circle. Totally surreal. I'm seeing this from outside myself, going "wow...you're sitting beside Shiva Rea, holding her hand and praying".

I guess it's my favorite story because we all build people up right? We idolize people we look up to and they become something other than human - extraordinary. Which she is, she's amazing, But ultimately we all human beings here doing our things, sharing our love and bliss with others. It was a very cool experience.



You're so right.  That's very true in the martial arts world as well.  We're all just people with different skill sets.  Okay (laughs) Let's get crazy, and say everyone on the planet had to listen to you for one hour a week for the next year. What message would you attempt to impart and how?
What an honour that would be Ono. Thank you for bringing that up. Well, I'd have to say, I would give my attention to all those who are dealing with Mental Health Issues. My message would be... come to your inner-strength and get on your path to wellness.

As a practicing Registered Psychiatric Nurse (RPN) I have the privilege of working with people of all ages and backgrounds with Mental Health Issues. Stigma still exists for many. As an RPN I work from a Western Medical Treatment Model, but things are changing in Western Psychiatry.

I see evidence of Yoga helping with Stress, Anxiety, Depression, Post-traumatic Stress, Addiction and the process of Change. By knowing the truth of where you are at with your inner-strength you have a starting point. That is the point the path begins. The path leads to living from your truth, abundance & wealth, pleasure & delight in good things, and freedom from suffering to live your life as you wish.

Therapeutic Yoga helps people come back into themselves with courage and kindness. To cultivate patience and acceptance. We all have challenges and we all have gifts. Yoga is a path towards being happy.



Thank you so much for sharing your passion of teaching with the world, Leslie.
Big hugs!! Thank YOU! You inspire me Ono. All the best!! xo Leslie

Leslie can be booked for both private students and group classes at http://www.bumblebeeyoga.ca/

Sensei Ono, Shinka Martial Arts
How could you best encourage a blogger to blog?

No comments:

Post a Comment