About The

My photo
Sensei Ono, founder of Shinka Martial Arts, is a teacher and student of life. His passion for helping others and self improvement is the purpose behind this blog. -- "If your purpose in any way includes making the world a better place, I urge to you read, and share the knowledge."

Monday, June 27, 2011

Top 3 Best UFC Fights

As a Richmond Martial Arts instructor, I often get asked which are my favorite UFC fights of all time.

These are my top 3, and reasons as to why.  I've done my best to avoid spoilers :)

GSP vs Matt Sera II
This was following GSP's loss to Matt Sera, and the pressure for this fight had been building for a long time.

Many felt it was a "lucky punch", but, many, including GSP himself, said that there was no such thing, and that, ultimately, Matt landed, GSP had underestimated him, and that'd been it.

I love this fight BECAUSE GSP lost to Matt, and because of the emotional tension leading up to it.  There was always this fear that he'd get caught again, and forever fade away into obscurity as is all too often the case when a fighter loses twice to the same person in a row.

This is a display of mastery.


Matt Hughes vs Frank Trig 2
Matt Hughes had won their first encounter in devastating fashion from a standing rear choke, which had made several hi-light reels.

This fight is like a movie.  You will be in awe.

UFC 52 also has another fairly important (although not necessarily "best of") match of Randy vs Chuck.  The two were destined to fight three times.

Also on the card, is GSP vs Jason Miller, which almost made one of the "top fights" as well.  This fight has the only kip up I've ever seen DURING a match.

A very entertaining fight, full of near submissions, great ground and pound, and, as I mentioned, an unorthadox moment or two, including a kip up.  This is also a nice look into the history of GSP, when he was the FIRST fight of the night, vs the main event.

This is just after he lost to Matt Hughes in their first fight.

It also contains one of the best corner-man yells and Joe Rogan quotes of all time:  "He's got retard strength" and, it has a funny "cold" ending, too.

The collection of all those fights makes UFC 52 one of the more entertaining cards in history.

Diego Sanchez vs Clay Guida
First of all, I love these two fighters.  They're both insane, they're both cardio machines, and they can both take a heck of a shot.

Diego nearly always gets fight of the night, ditto for Clay.  The two together was the magic you'd expect from such top athletes.

I honestly don't even remember who won - it doesn't really matter, to be honest.  The show was fantastic.

(in fact, I think I'm going to go watch it again right now)

2 comments:

  1. I just started watching UFC a few days ago, and it's sad to say that I haven't seen any of those matches. But the way you described them makes me think that they are must-watch fights. I'll try watching these when I get the time to do so.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds good Beau, welcome to the discussion! If you're new to UFC, you might also want to check out GSP vs Koscheck: http://www.amazon.com/Georges-St-Pierre-vs-Josh-Koscheck/dp/B003WHCZAG?ie=UTF8&tag=shinka-20&link_code=btl&camp=213689&creative=392969

    ReplyDelete