About The

My photo
Sensei Ono, founder of Shinka Martial Arts, is a teacher and student of life. His passion for helping others and self improvement is the purpose behind this blog. -- "If your purpose in any way includes making the world a better place, I urge to you read, and share the knowledge."

Thursday, July 8, 2010

Empowering Youth Financially

I've really been thinking about what an entrepreneurial fellow was saying about parenting.  The part that really stuck with me, was the abolishment of allowance, and, instead, the encouragement of finding things that need doing, ascertaining a value, negotiating a price, and sealing the deal.

It got me thinking about how I could foster that type of environment at Shinka, my martial arts school in Richmond.

The first step was, I posted this video on my Shinka Facebook page, in hopes that the kids would watch.

The next step was, getting together those who wanted to take it to the next level, but didn't know how (so I ended the video with "interested in the next step?  Ask me!"

Its the third, and ongoing step, that I want to get going, now.

While it would be a good learning tool for them to compete on price, there are other ways to go (adding value, differentiation, convenience etc) and I'd like to encourage those, as well.

Imagine, if you will, a typical Saturday morning, where, after teaching my young kids martial arts class (we call it "cubs") I am bombarded by business proposals from enterprising youth.

"I'll wash your walls!"
"I'll clean your mats!" etc.

On top of that, imagine the negotiation process.
"But my cleaners are organic!"
"but mine are cheaper!"
"but I have a team of people!"

Then, the next phase... they start sub-contracting out the work to each other...

A tiny microcosm of business.  Think of the learning...

No comments:

Post a Comment