About The

My photo
Sensei Ono, founder of Shinka Martial Arts, is a teacher and student of life. His passion for helping others and self improvement is the purpose behind this blog. -- "If your purpose in any way includes making the world a better place, I urge to you read, and share the knowledge."

Tuesday, October 9, 2018

Know your limitations

I once taught a class where everyone who was there had been there for about a year and a half.  There were formally abused wives, formerly overweight men, former smokers, former inactive people, formerly timid people etc.

And they were all sitting there, panting after the grueling class with proud smiles on their faces, and I told them to sit and close their eyes.

And visualize themselves as they were.  As they were when they first came in, not knowing what martial arts was, or what they could do.

I asked them to put themselves into that mindset and to "watch" the class that these people just did.

I asked them to keep their eyes closed, and to raise their hand if they thought they could do (what they just did)

No hands raised.

What they just did had been impossible for them to visualize doing less than two years ago.

I asked them to ponder that.  To think what else in their lives was currently "impossible."

I told them I was very proud of what they had become, what they had achieved, and that I was looking forward to seeing the new them in another few years.

Tears and hugs were plentiful after that class.  And lives changed.

Never look at your current self to know your limitations.  Because your current self doesn't have a damn clue what they are.



<3 p="">

No comments:

Post a Comment