About The

My photo
Sensei Ono, founder of Shinka Martial Arts, is a teacher and student of life. His passion for helping others and self improvement is the purpose behind this blog. -- "If your purpose in any way includes making the world a better place, I urge to you read, and share the knowledge."

Monday, November 8, 2010

Martial Arts is Always Exciting - Quantified Excitement

I was playing with some math this morning (heh, wait, the exciting part is coming) and, while I always felt that Martial Arts (be it Striking or Grappling) was filled with so much variety so as to never get bored and always stay excited, I never really quantified it before.

So, as I said, I was playing with some math this morning to make a point to some of my students, and, if I've done this right (using to the Nth power logic) the numbers are really astounding.

Check it out:
Number of possible permutations (or combos):
Straight Hook Uppercut (6 strikes):  720
With altered altitude (12 potential 'strikes' taken to "high" or "low" extremes for easy math): 479,001,600!!!
With Fakes (24 potential 'strikes') actually breaks the calculator, but I estimated it somewhere around 18 hundred trillion, as its 6 to the 23rd power, and 6 to the 20th power is 3,656,158,440,062,976.  Actually, I'm not entirely sure what comes after trillion, but I think it might be in there.  (Zillion?)

Anyway, its a lot.  No wonder it always feels fresh, new and exciting when we train!  Can you imagine "running out of combos?"

Yeesh, you add in kicks, blocks, evasion, takedowns, ground positions, submissions, trapping... the list goes on into... well, a lot of potential permutations, eh?

So:  I'd better go work on my Jab Punch Hook and Uppercut.  Clearly there are combinations yet to be discovered :-D

Sensei Ono, Shinka Martial Arts

No comments:

Post a Comment